Friday, January 16, 2009

My Race Implicit Associations Test Results

My I.A.T. showed that I have a slight preference towards European Americans, and especially being a young African American male my immediate reaction was to label the test as false and bias. After a few minutes of quiet reflection I began to see some correlations between the test results, my interactions and attitudes towards members of my race, particularly those who mirrored my image.
 
I hold every other male of my race to the same high standards that I strived towards. The same levels and expectations many men and women before our time achieved without any of the luxuries we've taken for granted. I make no apologies for expecting more from members of my race and beyond higher expectations I also judge them with the same criteria with which I judge myself. It is precisely this method of challenging one another that bred the extraordinary leaders that came before our generation. 
 
The fore-fathers of black pride, the movers, the shakers, the thinkers, individuals that changed
 the world: Martin, Malcolm, Rosa, Booker T., Fredrick and Drew.  Instead of spawning a new generation of leaders, many of my brothers and sister have fallen into the trap of complacency. Instead of striving to emulate kings and queens we imitate the actions of pimps, hoes, and gangsters. We glorify every negative stereotype associated with our race and then wonder why everyday we must battle for inch of success. 
 
Instead of commanding respect with intellect many choose to demand it with violence and aggression. This is not to says that these characteristics embody all African Americans, because no such blanket statement can be made about any race of people. These reflections simply describe the type of individuals who misrepresent African Americans as a whole. 

We all may know individuals who are content with mediocrity, as for myself I long for more. And to achieve my goals I have surrounded myself with like minded individuals who are driven, intelligent, and overall decent people. During my many semesters in schools I have encountered many African Americans with such redeeming qualities but we are far outnumbered, but it is up to us to lead the charge. We may not accomplish much individually but as a collective unit we change change our world one friend, one relative or one child at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment