Sunday, March 1, 2009

S.W.G. Serving While Gay

Yesterday Tony and I spoke on the phone and as usual it led to another argument. Whenever we speak the the class assignment ends and a fervent debate about race, sports, or sexual orientation takes place. On this day the topic of choice was gay men in the military. 
Tony told me the Philippines and Argentina just ended a ban on gay men in the army and the United States would soon follow suit, not only did they decriminalize homosexuality in the military but the governments were actively rec
ruiting in the gay and lesbian communities. Needless to say our views on the matter were different. He believed that any step towards equality would be well worth the consequences and considers the first openly gay soldiers as pioneers of the gay community, comparable to the African-American heroes M.L.K., Malcolm X and all others who blazed a trail towards an equality unattainable by blacks, but gaining the recognition and tolerance of the majority is still a victory.
He made a compelling argument but I was not swayed and made a good case for my point of view. I am very inclined to share with you my opinion but I want Tony to be the focus of this entry and not more of the same rant and raves you have become accustomed to reading on my site.
If it is unclear to you by now Tony is gay, but don't ask him when he became gay, because he will  tell you "I became gay the same time you became straight." 
I joked around with my classmates and said he's converted me to the other side, but it's not a complete falsity, I have a new found respect and appreciation for not only him but for all those that endure the same struggles. I don't mean new found respect as though i never respected gay men, I just never gave them enough thought to have a particular feeling or opinion towards them personally or their issues.
Gay men were but a footnote in my book of life, something there, but easily overlooked. But now 
I know a gay guy that mirrors the strength that i see in myself and my friends. He already has 
two strikes just like use, but he also has to deal with all the stigmas associated with being gay. You would never know he was gay, but once you meet him you would never forget his hot temper, quick wit and flair for intelligent conversation. 
I know I have said it already but it bares repeating, you would never know Tony is gay by looking at him and now that i look back at the day we met I think he was not talking to me but reaching out to his former self. 
Although he is not in the military he sets a good example and fights the good fight here at home for indifferent people like myself to take notice, tolerate or even accept him and those like him not as gay men but just men.

No comments:

Post a Comment